[SOLVED] - Re: video driver - new thread

Felix Miata wrote on 07/23/2017 08:26 PM:

>> I tried this solution (for Arch; I saw some posts about Debian, but nothing
>> that seemed to be a definitive solution):
>
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Setting_the_framebuffer_resolution

[material elided]

> The cited URL has more to offer than what you reported. It shows a fallback to
> deprecated vtty mode control via the vga= option, thus:
>
> 	"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash vga=792"

Right. I didn't mention that earlier for two reasons:
  1. the allowed numbers (e.g., 792) seemed like pure magic, with no
explanation of how the numbers are calculated or their precise meaning;
  2. as you say, it is deprecated, so I didn't want to rely on something that
might go away.

However, since it seemed to work for you, I tried it (with "794") and it works
fine. In particular, opening :0 and :1 works properly, unlike the case when I
used the GRUB_GFXMODE option. The console text is still quite a bit larger
than it was when using nouveau, but it's acceptable. So I now consider the
problem solved. Thank you very much for your patience.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans