Re: From dual- to single-boot

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 2:40 PM, solitone <solitone@mail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 July 2017 14:25:59 CEST Joel Rees wrote:
>> Can you boot without the Mac OS partition?
>
> I'm using grub to boot debian.
>
> To boot MacOS, I need to press the option key (⌥)  to start up to Apple's
> Startup Manager, rather than grub. Startup Manager allows me to choose the
> MacOS partition, and boot that one.

The reason I ask is that, at least in the past, at least in some
configurations, you needed a bootable Mac partition to boot
anything else. And it might be easy to forget if you had such a
setup and had not been using Mac OS for a while.

Just one more thing to check.

Personally, I've been bitten by a botched partition move in the past,
so I'd tend to avoid moving partitions anyway, if not using LVM.

And if I needed the extra 20G, I'd be foreseeing needing more pretty
soon, so I'd be planning on buying a second drive pretty soon.

Or I could delete the Mac OS partition (after backing anything important
up, of course) and make sure it still boots after formatting the partition for
Linux. If it doesn't it will be much easier to re-install the Mac OS and
necessary boot stuff before you try anything fancy.

Then, instead of moving partitions around, I'd look for what needs the
extra space, and mount the former Mac OS partition there. For instance
if it's space for backups, mount the partition as /backup2/ or
/home/sharedbackup/ or something.

Or, if I could wait, I'd hold things off until I upgrade to a new version,
and restructure my drive(s) while doing the upgrade.

LVM helps avoid botching things when you move things and resize
a lot, and it has better recovery options than when you move things
with a partition editor, so if you think you might be moving things
around a lot, you should look into LVM, as someone else has already
suggested, either with a second drive or when you back up your data
and re-install from scratch on your next upgrade.

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with my bare cast.
http://defining-computers.blogspot.com/2017/06/reinventing-computers.html

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html