Re: Need to upgrade to jessie need help

On 7/25/17, Dejan Jocic <jodejka@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25-07-17, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:

>> > That is not true, if you use autoremove. Only 2 last kernels will be
>> > kept. This is upgrade from Jessie here. I have 4.9.0.2 and 4.9.0.3
>> > kernels. Jessie kernel is long gone with autoremove.
>>

>> Well, that's a little... scary. *frown*
>>
>> Except that... I just deleted the rest of what I first wrote because
>> it hit me. Autoremove is what apt-get tells me to use to remove
>> packages..... that are no longer needed.... that are no longer
>> "dependencies". What it actually tells *me* is something like "apt
>> autoremove" (not "apt-get autoremove").
>>
>> Aaaahhhh... So in autoremove's mind... It might touch on that previous
>> kernel and say... hm, nothing's using it now, nothing needs it to
>> function properly, so trash it........
>>
>> Or something like that.... there...... :)
>>
>> Cindy :)
>> --
>> Cindy-Sue Causey
>> Talking Rock, Pickens County, Georgia, USA
>>
>> * runs with duct tape *
>>

> What it touch is /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal that generates
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-kernels file. Those decide what kernels
> to keep. And, in case of /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal it is
> clearly stated:

> # currently booted version - the kernel version we've been called for -
> # the latest kernel version (as determined by debian version number) -
> # the second-latest kernel version
> #
> # In the common case this results in two kernels saved (booted into the
> # second-latest kernel, we install the latest kernel in an upgrade), but
> # can save up to four. Kernel refers here to a distinct release, which
> # can potentially be installed in multiple flavours counting as one
> # kernel.

Ok, so this is where the OP, VigneshDhanraj, could pin their kernel if
they know the release number....... That's a-suming one can pin out of
numerical sequence...

The "deal" about it, the rationale that the toggle is buried there
would be that pinning, not pinning kernels versus "just" other
software would most likely matter most to someone who is tech savvy
enough to have that need. That person would know they need to go
digging for the toggle that helps preserve their tear stained kernel.
:)

Interesting to know. I JUST yesterday downloaded the .xz tar for
4.12.3 for purposes of self-education. The new tip learned from this
thread is perfectly timed and priceless. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *