Re: Need to upgrade to jessie need help

On 7/25/17, Dejan Jocic <jodejka@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25-07-17, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 09:41:24AM +0200, Dejan Jocic wrote:
>> > When you upgrade to Jessie, it will install new kernel automatically.
>> > However, it should not remove your Wheezy kernel, because upgrading
>> > kernels always leaves one old one there, in case that you can not boot
>> > into your new kernel for some reason. You can then mark that kernel via
>> > grub options as one you would like to boot in. You can do it during
>> > boot
>> > in grub, or by setting it as default in /etc/default/grub.
>>
>> All true.
>>
>> > You will also
>> > have to use apt-mark to put that kernel on hold, to prevent removing it
>> > on future updates, or to do some apt pinning.
>>
>> False.  The kernel will simply sit there forever, unless you take some
>> explicit action to remove it.  No holds or pinning or other wrestling
>> required.
>>

> That is not true, if you use autoremove. Only 2 last kernels will be
> kept. This is upgrade from Jessie here. I have 4.9.0.2 and 4.9.0.3
> kernels. Jessie kernel is long gone with autoremove.

Well, that's a little... scary. *frown*

Except that... I just deleted the rest of what I first wrote because
it hit me. Autoremove is what apt-get tells me to use to remove
packages..... that are no longer needed.... that are no longer
"dependencies". What it actually tells *me* is something like "apt
autoremove" (not "apt-get autoremove").

Aaaahhhh... So in autoremove's mind... It might touch on that previous
kernel and say... hm, nothing's using it now, nothing needs it to
function properly, so trash it........

Or something like that.... there...... :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *