Re: how to make sure that gnome check available updates to system

On 23-07-17, Karol Szkudlarek wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using GNOME and Debian 9 on my laptop and in the software-properties-gtk program I selected daily updates and display message immediately.
> Laptop is used dual boot mode and I would like to be sure (for security reasons) that Gnome checks automatic available updates properly.
> Is it some log file to verify if checking was performed and when?
> I would like to not to perform manual apt-get update. I have not installed cron-apt.
> Regards,
>
> Karol Szkudlarek

If you want those updates to be automatic, you should change that
display message immediately to download and install automatically.
As for checking logs, you can check under these:

/var/log/unattended-upgrades/unattended-upgrades.log

/var/log/dpkg.log

With automatic updates enabled, all actions performed will end up there.
Well, in /var/log/dpkg.log other actions, like manually installing
packages will be recorded too, but you will be able to see performed
actions. If you would like to be informed about automatic upgrades with
mail, you will have to edit file:

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades

and find and uncomment line //Unattended-Upgrade::Mail "root";

Hope that this helps.