how to make sure that gnome check available updates to system

Hello,

I am using GNOME and Debian 9 on my laptop and in the software-properties-gtk program I selected daily updates and display message immediately.
Laptop is used dual boot mode and I would like to be sure (for security reasons) that Gnome checks automatic available updates properly.
Is it some log file to verify if checking was performed and when?
I would like to not to perform manual apt-get update. I have not installed cron-apt.
Regards,
Karol Szkudlarek