Re: Hibernate in stretch

On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 09:30:30 +0200
Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 23. Juli 2017, 09:15:56 CEST schrieb solitone:
> Please note, hibernate is broken since over more than 6 moths.
> After upgrading to stretch it got worse. Before upgrade, hibernating
> worked half, it hibernated, but resume crashed (after loading the
> image from swap- partition, the computer full resetted).
>
> Now it does not even hibernate any more.
>
> I do not want to mourne or cause any anger, and I do not expect it to
> be fixed at all. Remember, people do this in theire spare and free
> time, so we cannot expect, to be it fixed at all.
>
> So my solution: I do not use hibernate at the moment. If it is fixed
> some day, it will be ok, if not, it will be ok, too.
>
> The only thing, I wondered by myself, why hibernate did not stop the
> release of stretch, as everyone knew, it is badly broken. Maybe,
> hibernate is no essential package/function, that would of course
> explain it.

Unfortunately, various types of suspend are a difficult area in Linux,
as sound used to be (and still is for some people). Suspend is still a
user application, rather than something built into the OS. If you want
it to work, you have to make it work, which means you have to find out
which particular reason is stopping it from working today. Which is not
the same reason which stopped it yesterday...

I used to fix suspend sometimes, but it would take half a day, and then
software rot would cause it to fail again within a month or two, so
mostly I don't bother any more. I am using unstable, I am sure if
suspend were fixed in stable it would stay fixed, but I only use stable
on my server, which has no use for suspend.

Occasionally, I try suspend to RAM on my workstation, as an alternative
to shutting down and rebooting later, and for a period of six months or
so recently it seemed to work reliably. Then for several months, it has
appeared to suspend correctly but will not resume, only reboot. This is
suspend to *RAM*, not hibernate (and no, the swap location *is* set
correctly, but this problem started at the same time as that became an
issue, so is undoubtedly related). I have not tried for a month or so,
so maybe it is time for another try. Unstable is, of course, even more
unstable than usual this soon after a release. Perl and Python are both
uninstallable at the moment.

I have never, with Debian or some other distributions, seen any laptop
come back from any suspend. Ever. If it is not the network missing, it
is the display light which does not come on. I cannot believe it is so
difficult to turn on a backlight. Or I couldn't, until I tried
adjusting a laptop display brightness recently, and realised that some
fairly common day-to-day user requirements are still a hell of little
command-line utilities that have to be installed and then do nothing.

Give it another twenty years...

--
Joe