Re: funding & viability questions of GPL enforcement.

On Wed 19/Jul/2017 23:14:35 +0200 Martin Read wrote:
> On 19/07/17 12:17, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>> One my wonder why GRSecurity is not (optionally) included in Linux.
>
> For a variety of reasons relating to the personalities and opinions of the
> people who would be involved - on both sides - in making it happen.
>
> It should be noted that some people who are not part of the grsec project *are*
> trying to incrementally move the less performance-impactful features of grsec
> into the mainline kernel.

Yes, the example I had in mind was this:
https://lwn.net/Articles/725203/

Of course, nobody dislikes security. Making it neat and clear is another
question, and that"s why experiments are needed. Can we consider Linux and
GRSecurity as entities cooperating with each other in that respect?

GRS is a formal hierarchical organization, a very different single endity than the
linux "thing".  A community of many different entities, in size and shape.  Not
a formal organization, I don't think.  How can the two different things communicate,
let alone cooperate?  Let's just home each does their thing and share what they
do and leave it at that.  Only equals can communicate, coordinate, and cooperate.
So linux as a whole can hardly be imagined to be in communication with anything
else.

Ale

I vote against such cooperating proposals as such would try to shape and
change what linux is.  If grs and debian can cooperate that would be an issue
for them to decide.  For linux we all need to agree before we decide.