Re: Free software

On 07/19/2017 05:44 PM, Joel Rees wrote:

This is another aspect of "closed source" gratis technology that is
often swept under the rug.

It used to be, for instance, that a TV in the US had a full diagram
of working parts in the back case, so that the TV could still be
fixed even if the manufacturer suddenly wiped their books and
disappeared.

Not at all true! As a sideline I was a TV serviceman in the 1960s.
There usually was  a drawing of the tube numbers and positions
somewhere in the set--more usually on an inside surface of the
wooden box. There certainly was no schematic diagram.
However, it was almost always possible to obtain real service
information including schematic diagrams of the circuits from
a paid service, the name of which escapes me now. (The pages
always included useless ones for record players and such that
nobody ever heard of!)

--doug--almost 80!