Re: Free software

On Tuesday 18 July 2017 20:18:07 Ben Finney wrote:

> Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
> > Doug [2017-07-18 13:25:34-05] wrote:
> > > My point is that most of the folks who complain about code not
> > > being free to modify are not capable of modifying it, so why do
> > > they complain?

What has not being capable got to do with it? I am losing that capability
slowly but surely, too many circles around this star we call the Sun
being the main reason. I have outlived all the enemies I used to have,
and poor short term memory lets me forget about any recently acquired
ones.

> > Free software has the advantage that it does not depend on just one
> > company and its interests. A free software community can maintain
> > code longer and can port it to different platforms. The community
> > benefits even if only some people actually modify the software.
>
> By analogy: I am not capable of maintaining the house I live in, let
> alone of making significant improvements.

That blows me away, Ben. I have read enough of your keyboards output to
know there is not one darned thing keeping you from learning to do what
you deny being able to do.

> Yet I benefit from the fact that anyone sufficiently motivated can
> learn to do so and they don't need permission from the people who made
> the house.
>
> If anyone who wanted to improve the house I live in were prevented
> from doing so without the express permission of the people who made
> the house, you're damned right I would complain.

So would I, by whatever means gets the attention.

> I may have no intention of ever doing so myself, but I want a
> wide-open market of people who can do so if I ask, who have learned
> because no law stops them from doing so.
>

> Free software includes that same freedom for software: Everyone is
> free to learn about it, and try to improve it, and share their work
> with others who want it.
>
> Because everyone has that freedom, we don't all have to exercise it.
> But we must defend it for everyone, and look with suspicion on anyone
> – even those who sell video cards – who tries to deny us that freedom.

Extremely well stated Ben, thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)