Re: Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

On Wed 19 Jul 2017 at 15:18:20 -0400, Fungi4All wrote:

> > From: mrmazda@earthlink.net
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Patrick Bartek composed on 2017-07-19 10:29 (UTC-0700):
> >> Getting no results from apt-get upgrade after a week. Can install apps,
> >> etc., but get no security or stretch-update "fixes," etc. I find
> >> this unusual. Did a mail list archive search for this, but didn"t find
> >> anything specific. Or did I miss the solution?
> >> My Test Setup:
> >> Stretch Stable 64-bit from net-install disk in Virtualbox 5.1 on a
> >> Wheezy host. Basic terminal install (no GUI), converted to sysvinit
> >> (did not do anything to systemd files. Kept as dependencies) and then
> >> added xorg, openbox window manager, etc.
> >> Thanks for any feedback.
> > Did you miss that in Stretch apt is preferred to apt-get?
>
> But will there be different results with apt upgrade than with apt-get?
> After the previous discussion about dist-upgrade I find this confusing.

There had better not be and probably are not as they use the same code
base to resolve the installation of packages.

One problem that apt solves is that in apt-get the commonly used package
management commands are divided between apt-get and apt-cache. Apt unifies
them. If you see this as an advantage you might consider using it. It is
intended to be used by end-users. apt-get was intended to be used by
end-users, too. Take your pick. Either will keep your system sound.

<Advert> apt has a progress bar <End of advert>.