Re: Couple things questions

On Wednesday 12 July 2017 10:45:35 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 10:39:06AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Running wheezy yet, fully uptodate.
> >
> > 1. Did I get stoned (unlikely, don't use the weed) and miss a memo
> > telling us that /var/log/messages had been deprecated? I noted this
> > morning as I was setting up my usual batch of monitoring tails, that
> > its last entry was back in May!
>
> If you just upgraded from an older release to wheezy, you may not have
> rsyslog installed.  I observed the same thing, and documented it on
> <https://wiki.debian.org/NewInWheezy#Upgrade_issues>.

That was "interesting", synaptic says it is installed, but wouldn't let
me install the matching doc file until I had "fix broken packages", this
when the broken list was empty.  This isn't the first time that has
occurred.

As for this being a recent install, define recent Greg. :) The install
dates from about 6 months after wheezy was declared stable, several
years back up the log now.

Now I'll go read that doc file.

Thanks Greg.

Cheers, Gene Heskett