Re: "Bad file descriptor" error when restoring file

Le decadi 20 messidor, an CCXXV, Pétùr a écrit :
> Le 08/07/2017 à 18:34, Reco a écrit :
> >> Any idea?
> >>
> >> $ duplicity restore --gio --time=2017-07-06T08:14:08Z --force
> >> file:///home/pierre/data/backup_pierre / --verbosity=9
> >> --gpg-options=--no-use-agent --archive-dir=/home/pierre/.cache/deja-dup
> >> --tempdir=/tmp --log-fd=22
> > Sure. Don't ask duplicity to log its actions to file descriptor 22, as
> > it is highly unlikely to be open.
> > Skip '--log-fd' altogether.
>
> Thanks, it fixes the problem indeed.
>

> I am quite disappointed by deja-dup front-end as Nicolas George points
> out and I will recommend to not use it. I will directly use duplicity
> instead in the future.

I would like to moderate the interpretation of my statement. I said that
"bad file descriptor" was always the sign of a severe bug, and I stand
by it, but programs are allowed to offer tricky and dangerous
interfaces, and that shifts the responsibility for the bug to the
caller.

In this particular instance, whoever decided to add the "--log-fd=22"
option to a direct call to duplicity from the shell is responsible for
the bug. Having copied the command-line from a different invocation of
duplicity is not enough to shift the responsibility a step further.

I am not saying that duplicity is perfect and has no bugs. Actually,
when I looked into it a few years back, I was really not impressed with
the overall code quality. But this in particular was not a bug in
duplicity.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George