Re: Where would I make a request to update the Stretch Release Notes?

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 09:53:33AM -0400, Jason Cohen wrote:
> Per Bug #861683, xserver-xorg-legacy is a "recommend" for xserver-xorg, and as such, is likely to be installed by default.

Because some hardware chipsets require it.

> Section 2.2.10 of the Debian Stretch Release Notes indicates that Xorg will now run as a non-root user for most setups, indicating 3 requirements for this to function correctly.

Mm hmm.

> However, there is no mention of the need to remove xserver-xorg-legacy.

There isn't, at least on my chipset.

wooledg:~$ pgrep X
3079
wooledg:~$ ps -fp 3079
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
wooledg   3079  3078  0 Jul07 tty1     00:08:24 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -nolisten tcp
wooledg:~$ dpkg -l xserver-xorg-legacy
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  xserver-xorg-l 2:1.19.2-1+d amd64        setuid root Xorg server wrapper

-legacy is installed, but it isn't used by this chipset.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 [8086:1912] (rev 06)

> 3) GDM3 is used as the display manager (if X is started from the DM)
>
> However, after spending 30 minutes trying to figure out why a newly
> installed Debian Stretch system refused to start Xorg as a regular user,
> I realized it was *also* necessary to remove xserver-xorg-legacy (I
> didn't realize this package was installed).

Oh, are you using gdm3?  I'm not.  I'm using startx.

> This is not
> documented in the Release Notes or at https://wiki.debian.org/Xorg.
> Rather, the release notes gives the strong impression that the
> aforementioned items are sufficient to ensure Xorg will not run as root.

So... are you saying that you use gdm3, and your X server is started
as root if -legacy is installed, and started as non-root if -legacy
is not installed?

Out of curiosity, what graphics chipset is it?