Re: pop-up windows all the time in Firefox, Stretch

UTC Time: July 10, 2017 12:27 PM
From: anilduggirala@fastmail.fm
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017, at 02:43 AM, Dejan Jocic wrote:
> On 09-07-17, Anil Duggirala wrote:
> > hello,
> > Ever since I moved to Stretch I have had pop-up windows popping up all
> > the time (clicking on various items on various types of pages). I am
> > posting here, since this is only happening in my Debian installation.
> > Was anything changed in the default configuration of Firefox. It feels
> > like Windows with all of these pop-ups, this is the first time I
> > experience anything like this in a linux installation.
> > thanks,
> >

> In firefox you have option to block pop-up windows. Go to preferences,
> it is under content. And install some add blocker. For me, best is :
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/
>
> You can also install script blocker, like this one:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/?src="">
>
> With all that on, you will be pretty safe against pop-ups.

Thanks for the suggestion for add blockers. What I guess I am saying is;
even in websites that I know would never include pop-up ads, when
clicking on something, I am getting a pop-up with some add. It feels
like a virus, like something that is affecting Firefox (I havent tested
other browsers) at the system level, or at least at the program level.
It feels like some bad software is affecting Firefox. For example, when
clicking on a dropdown box, a new window is opened with some ad, I know
this is not being done by the website I am navigating.
thanks a lot,

Check your addons in firefox and your homepage.  This sounds like a hijacking
activity.  But there is a difference between pop-up and ad-blocking.  Ad-blocking
works whether they pop or are within the page.  Pop-ups may not necessarily
be ads.  You can also add the No-Script addon to only allow what you want
scripts on.  But this is all browser related, not system.