Re: debian wiki

From: tomas@tuxteam.de
> It"s probably based not on your IP, but on headers sent by your browser
> (Accept-Language or something like that). There should be somewhere in
> the settings where you can change that. At least on Firefox there is.

I can confirm that (tested on https://wiki.debian.org). Depending on
the language preferences set on my browser (en resp. fr), I stay on
the default, English or get redirected to the French version, /fr/.

It is not consistent though, with scripts-off if you pick french from the main
page the content will become french but the top menus stay EN.  If you
pick a link (installation rapide) the headers stay in EN.  If you try the same
with DE then all of it is German.  This is with a French IP.  So it is not the IP
but some language cookie that throws it off?  I guess if you use a lesser
browser than mozilla weird  things happen, I accept that the IP speculation
was unsubstantiated.
But the inconsistency remains.

So I don"t see any IP based language choice on wiki.debian.org, just
one based on HTTP content negotiation (and thus on client choice), as
it Should Be (TM).

DISCLAIMER: I only tested without _javascript_. I (mostly) browse with
_javascript_ disabled.

@Fungi4All: if you are interested in constructive discussions and not
just in ranting off, please describe what you are seeing, at least
with an URL for people to try to reproduce what you are seeing.

I thought I did, wiki.debian.org but here is a specific one https://wiki.debian.org/fr/QuickInstall
Is the top menu in English or French.  On my instance the content was english but the menus were not