Re: How to gain control over the system?

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017, Kaj Persson wrote:

Hi all,

Anyone having an idea how to get back the command over my desktop,
including the panels? Until two weeks ago I ran Debian 8 ("jessie"),
but after a unsuccessful clean-up operation the whole system became
totally corrupted, and I decided to to a complete new install of the
new Debian 9 ("stretch") and Mate (which I was using in jessie
too). I was using the live DVD put on a memory stick.

As they say[1],[2],[3], do not use a live image for installs.

1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/06/msg00723.html
2. https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/06/msg00740.html
3. https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/06/msg00755.html

--
"Jesus! Where will it end? How low do you have to stoop in this country to be President?"
Hunter S Thompson, 1972