Re: Python

On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 02:33:26PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Saturday 08 July 2017 13:06:29 Kris G wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am considering switching over to Debian from Fedora. I was wondering if
> > Debian Jessie has python pre installed? Or does it have to be installed via
> > the terminal as an apt-get?
> >
> > I apologise if this is a silly question?
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
>
> Why are you thinking of causing yourself problems by installing Jessie (Old
> Stable, soon out of support) when the current Stable is Stretch?
>
> To answer your question:

...and to complement Lisi's answer:

> lisi@Eros:~$ aptitude show python
> Package: python
> State: installed
> Automatically installed: no
> Multi-Arch: allowed
> Version: 2.7.9-1
            ^^^^^^^^

Priority "standard" means that when you do a normal, boring install
process, this package will get in. See [1] for details.

If you want to browse what packages are available, which priority
status they have, etc. have a look at packages.debian.org [2]
(BTW: I've needed a similar resource for RedHat/CentOS at a
customer's site: does such a beast exist?)

Besides, if you select a desktop environment, you'll get a graphical
package manager, so you won't really need to do apt-get from a
terminal.

That said, people around here tend to like terminals. Once one
discovers how to throw things together like Lego blocks, there is
no way back. It's addictive. I have the suspicion that it taps
directly into the brain's dopamine receptors. Be careful :-)

Enjoy

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkg_basics.en.html#s-priority
[2] https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
- -- tomás