Re: Replace systemd

On July 5, 2017 9:11:27 AM PDT, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
On 2017-07-05 at 11:27, Don Armstrong wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jul 2017, David Griffith wrote:

It would be nice to have an install-time option for selecting the desired init.

It already exists:

«
You can just append:

preseed/late_command="in-target apt-get install -y sysvinit-core"

to the installer command line.

I suspect that what the people who ask for this are thinking of is a
step in the installer sequence at which you are prompted to choose which
init system you want to be installed, such that the installer will never
even attempt to install any other init system.

This differs from the suggested methods to date not only in avoiding
"systemd-sysv was installed, then sysvinit-core replaced it later on"
(which some of the suggested methods may also do), but also in the UX;
having it presented to you as a choice, rather than having to know about
it in advance and take separate steps on your own, makes a significant
cosmetic and psychological difference, as well as affecting
discoverability.

If the installer doesn't present the option, then it's not really "an
install-time option" in a certain sense; it takes on more the shape of
advanced / expert hackery, rather than appearing to be something the
developers actually support.

I think that's the mindset, anyway.

These are exactly my motivations for an install-time prompt.
--
David Griffith
dave@661.org