Re: Relative stability of Testing vs Unstable

On 07/05/2017 07:24 PM, John Hasler wrote:
Jimmy Johnson writes:
 From what I read, very serious bugs are likely to be caught before
making it to Testing, while Unstable benefits from getting security
updates (in the form of new upstream releases) sooner, and is more
likely to be consistent during transitions.

I've read that before someplace, but I did not write it. But I tend to agree, also packages are suppose to be working in theory before going to Sid, just not yet tested, sometimes a package will be downgraded and that obsolete package may not be so obsolete after all, if you're not paying attention you can screw a system up and the same thing can happen in testing too.

Unstable is not required to be consistent at all.

That said, I've always used it on my desktop and have not had a problem
for at least ten years.  However, I use FVWM rather than a desktop
environment.

Me too. :)

This Sid system is more than 15yrs old, has seen many releases, three different hard drives and at lest 5 different desktop computers, intel, ati and nvidia too. However, I use KDE, always have, I've used other environments and I could get used to the idea of right clicking on my desktop and finding what I want.

Cheers,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid/Testing - KDE Plasma 5.8.7 - Linux 4.9 - EXT4 at sda15
Registered Linux User #380263