Re: LibreOffice5 Writer will not load

On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 12:12:40PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 11:05:20PM -0700, dmacdoug wrote:
> > I have LibreOffice5 installed on Debian Stretch on an Asus EeePC
> > notebook which uses an Atom N455 processor.
> >
> > All the LibreOffice modules seem to work fine except for Writer.
>
> Can you try to start it from a terminal and see if there are error
> messages that shed more light on that?

The first time I start it from a terminal there are no messages, but
there are three processes left running, the oosplash and soffice.bin
that I mentioned before and also one instance of
"/bin/sh /usr/bin/lowriter".

If I try to run lowriter from the terminal a second time, It simply
gives me back the terminal prompt after a second or two and leaves
the same three processes running.

However, if I then kill those three processes and then run lowriter
from the terminal a third time, Writer starts up on the screen and
it tells me there are two unsaved documents labeled Untitled1 and
Untitled2 and asks whether to recover them or discard them.  If I
discard them, it then displays the screen which offers recent
documents.  If I select one of them everything then disappears from
the screen and the line prompt returns in the terminal.

This notebook is running an i386 system since the atom n455 processor
is i386, however, I happen to have a system with an amd64 processor
but which is running debian i386 stretch and Writer works fine on it.
So, it seems like the processor rather than i386/amd64 is the
operative difference.

I see that Rene Engelhard has also replied to me pointing out a couple
of bug reports on this that I missed, so I will take a look at those
to see if they help.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards, Don