LibreOffice5 Writer will not load

I have LibreOffice5 installed on Debian Stretch on an Asus EeePC
notebook which uses an Atom N455 processor.

All the LibreOffice modules seem to work fine except for Writer.
When I try to launch Writer it begins loading and a banner saying
"LibreOffice 5" appears across the middle of the screen for
several seconds, as would be normal.  There's a line at the
bottom of the banner which progresses across to demonstrate that
the program is loading until the line is all the way across, at
which point the banner disappears but the word processor never
appears.

ps shows that two processes are left running: "oosplash --writer"
and "soffice.bin --writer --splash-pipe=5"

This same problem occurred  before I upgraded to Stretch from
Jessie.  I have several desktop computers with other processors
on which Writer does not have this problem.

I'm wondering if this is a known issue.  I've not been able to
discover anything on this.

Don MacDougall