Re: Superblock last write time is in the future.

On Monday 03 July 2017 11:02:56 David Wright wrote:

> On Mon 03 Jul 2017 at 09:38:12 (+0200), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 06:08:31PM -0300, Wellington Terumi Uemura
wrote:
> > > I use Linux since Slackware 2.0, way before Windows 95. And up to
> > > Debian 8, I've never, EVER, had to follow that procedure because
> > > it worked just fine before. I'm using Debian like what, 10 years
> > > now.
> > >
> > > Why do I have to change a registry because something in Debian 9
> > > is not syncing the time correctly with the hard drive before a
> > > reboot?
> > >
> > > Just to make sure, I've reinstalled Debian 8 and the issue is
> > > gone, it happens again with 9 so, I'm not changing that registry.
> > >
> > > This is a Debian 9 issue.
> >
> > Yes, I agree that this doesn't look like a time initialization
> > issue or a hardware clock issue.
>
> The future could get complicated for people not running on UTC
> if time offsets of a few seconds start to arise. AIUI timezones
> as presently implemented can't handle that.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

I put my hdwe clocks on UCT 18 years ago with my first redhat 5.0
install. The tz files have kept pace for me, so its  not been a problem
other that one install in 2002 set it to local but didn't set the hdwe
clock, so on the next reboot, it set the arrival times of 6 messages
before I noticed it, to sometime in 2020. Its a mailing list I do not
expire but even if I did set one, those 6 msgs would still be there.
Shrug....

Lesson #10 for linux, put the hardware clock on UCT, set /your/ time zone
in the locale, and forget about it.  It Just Works(TM)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)