Re: Disk Access

On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 06:42:55PM +0100, David wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-07-01 at 17:35 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 01, 2017 at 04:22:29PM +0100, David wrote:
> > > Dear List,
> > >
> > > I am using Linux Mint Debian (Betsy) and I'm having problems writing to
> > > removable hard disks.
> > >
> > > There are no problems reading and writing to USB sticks.
> > >
> > > But removable sata disks I can read, but not write to. These disks are
> > > in caddies that are designed to be removed.
> > >
> > > I thought the problem was because one of the disks in question was not
> > > formatted on the Mint machine, so I formatted a new disk, same problem.
> > >
> > > Can anybody offer me a solution?
> >
> > What file system are those disks formatted with?
> >
> > Things to check:
> >
> >   - what are the permissions of the files/directories you try to
> >     write to?
> >   - is the whole disk perhaps mounted read only?
> >
> > You may get some hints from the error message when you try the
> > write or from the log files, e.g. /var/log/messages (at mount
> > time).
> >
> > > Would I have the same problem if I used native Debian?
> >
> > Difficult to say without more hints.
> >
> > Cheers
> > -- tomás
>
> Sorry I should have given more details.
>
> The disks are formatted to EXT4 and they do appear to be read only.
>
> The attached details below are the results from /var/log/messages
>
> The first part is a disk that has files on it that I can read, but I
> cannot write to it.
>
> The second part is a new disk that I have recently formatted and has no
> data on it. Trying to mount this second disk previously I got a message
> about dbus, but I didn't this time.
>
> What I would like to do is to create directories and copy files into
> those directories to create a backup.

Hmm. this (from the first log snippet) looks at least suspicious:

> Jul  2 18:26:08 david-mint-debian kernel: [  336.603699] EXT4-fs (sdb1):
> warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended

I'd expect a file system with errors to be mounted read-only
(although I can't see any hint towards that in the log itself:
I would expect a noice to that effect).

BTW, this hints against Hans's guess that only FAT or NTFS are
auto-mounted. This file system is being mounted.

Now the error message when trying to write to the file system
becomes the more interesting. I'd suggest you try t from a terminal:

You can try that with "touch". Assuming /some/directory is a directory
on your file system, and there's no file in there called "foo",
you might try

  touch /some/directory/foo

This would try to create an (empty) file foo there. You might get
"permission denied" or "mumble mumble read-only file system".

But, first of all: if your data is valuable there, make a backup
and run a file system check!

Cheers
- -- tomás