Re: OT: SQL database - some questions

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 10:00:00 +0200
Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> this is a little offtopic, but maybe you can make things a little bit clearer
> for me.
>
> I had had a webserver hosted by a provider, which is switched off since a
> year. From this server I got a backup of a sql database. The system that ran
> that time, was wordpress, and the database is called something like
> "bla_bla_wp2016018_911.sql.gz"
>
> On this website I wrote some blogs, which I want to have back.
>
> So my question: Are these blogs content in this database? And if yes, can I

WordPress database backups contain all the blog content (but not, IIUC,
files (such as media) that you may have uploaded in association with
the blog).

> restore them without to setup a complete wordpress server with sql database?

Yes, as other posters have suggested, but you should think carefully
about your insistence on not setting up a WordPress installation. It's
actually not that difficult - mysql and wordpress can both be easily
installed the usual way via the package managment system, and while
there may be a little fussing necessary to get WP working properly and
import your database backup, it shouldn't be too difficult even for a
database novice. WordPress has great documentation for this sort of
thing, and the last time I did this (in a very similar situation to
yours - I was leaving one hosting provider for another, the former
account was shut down, and I had up to date database backups), I was
actually quite shocked by how simple it was - just open the WordPress
interface (dashboard), do "import database", and that's pretty much it!

> Is there an easy way or only a hard way?

> Would be nice, if someone could give me some points, I am not so experienced
> with databases.
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Hans

Celejar