Re: OT: SQL database - some questions

Hi Greg,
huuuuuu, that looks quite difficult for me.
> Start by actually reading the compressed backup, using zless.  See whether
> it looks like an SQL dump.  If it does, then you can proceed to the next
> steps.

Ho dso I do this? I unzipped my *.sql.gz and have now *.sql file. How can I
see, if it is a sql-dump? What is this?

> Install mariadb/mysql (whatever the server package is called, for your
> release of Debian).  Do whatever it is you need to do in the database
> admin account so that you can restore your database dump as your regular
> user.

I have installed mysql, but I do not want to run it as root. I am not sure, to
kill some databases on my system, I need for other things.

> As your regular user, feed the compressed database dump to the "mysql"
> (or its mariadb equivalent) command:
>
> zcat yourfile.gz | mysql

How can I create a database as a npormal user? mysqladmin inhibits this. I did
mysqladmin db1 , then mysql db1 < mydatabase.sql , which only worked as root.

> You may have to supply a password, or some command line options to mysql,
> or something like that.  Whatever you would normally do to restore a
> mysql database dump.

Too heavy for me, sorry.

> If you get stuck, try googling "restore mysql database dump" or similar.
> Yours is presumably compressed, due to the *.gz suffix on the file, so
> you'll need to zcat it, instead of just feeding it directly to mysql.
> That's pretty much it.

Same, too heavy.

Folks, I think, this is not an easy stuff! I am not experienced enough and I
give up for now.

Maybe I will take the other solution by using vim, and extract all my blogs
from the sql-file manually, then put it into an html editor like bluegriffon,
and then save all the blogs in a html file. Doing so, they can be trancoded
into pdf or implemented into ODT. However, this is a lot of manual work, but
not "brain killing" like this.

I hoped, there would be an easy way, opening a GUI, choose my text with drag-
and-drop and off we go.

Sorry, there is none, I see now. Let this issue close, thanks, great thanks,
for all the help, really, but it is going much too far now.

Best wishes and thanks again

Hans