Re: How did you update to stretch?

From: dave@sherohman.org
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 01:27:42PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> By running upgrade before dist-upgrade, you reduce complexity by
> maximising the compatibility of packages with each other. When
> lenny was replaced by squeeze, even these two steps were
> insufficient; the kernel and udev needed replacing as a pair after
> the (lenny) upgrade and before the (squeeze) dist-upgrade.

I was around for lenny => squeeze, but had forgotten about that. It
could well be the explanation for my current procedure, though, which
is:

apt-get update
apt-get install dpkg apt
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

The basic idea being to first get the latest tools in place, then do the
simple upgrades, and save the complex ones for last.

I also used to stage large upgrades in multiple steps, doing only a
dozen or two packages at a time and selecting dependencies first,
leaving dependent packages for later (when possible), again in the
interest of keeping each batch of updates as simple as possible, but
I"ve stopped doing that since the tools started distinguishing between
manually-installed packages and those which were automatically selected
to satisfy dependencies.

I must have been lucky then, because I have a system that I only use for
entertainment, audio-visual/home-cinema, a chess game, and mindless
browsing.  I have only used synaptic - reload - upgrade.  When I run
dist-upgrade it found nothing to do.  When I run autoclean and purge it
had nothing to do.  I recently remember a coupld of times that it asked
me to drop a package that was no-longer needed, in synaptic, and
I thought only dist-upgrade would do such a thing, therefore my incorrect
assumption.  I always thought synpatic was just a gui for apt/apt-get
and all options/command were converted to menu items.

Whenever I tried aptitude I hated it and want nothing to do with it.

Dave Sherohman

(AK)