Re: How did you update to stretch?

On 2017-06-26 at 14:01, Brian wrote:

> On Mon 26 Jun 2017 at 13:06:29 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 03:04:30AM +1000, John Elliot V wrote:
>>
>>> Can I ask why you did the apt-get upgrade before the apt-get
>>> dist-upgrade? Why not just go straight for apt-get
>>> dist-upgrade..?
>>
>> Probably because (s)he read the release notes:
>>
>> <https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#minimal-upgrade>
>
> The notes are clear but what is the point of following this
> procedure?
>
> You do an upgrade, so an upgrade is done. No new packages. Fair
> enough. You are none the wiser about what would happen if a
> dist-upgrade is done next, so it is still a dive into the unknown.
>
> Then you dist-upgrade. Why not leave out the previous step, unless
> there are packages you wish to keep? Perhaps an illustrative example
> of when the single-step process dist-upgrade fails would be helpful.

For one thing, this way any new code from e.g. apt/dpkg/etc. themselves
will be in place before you run the more-complex portion of the upgrade
process, and you'll be able to take advantages of any fixes or
improvements which may result from that.

> (I upgrade, reboot, dist-upgrade, But I am into cargo-cult).

I update, dist-upgrade, autoremove, remove $(deborphan), and then run
'update-flashplugin-nonfree --install', manually as root, about once a
day - not quite every day, but on average multiple times a week over the
gap between major releases.

Since I also track testing (by that name, not by release name) in
sources.list, that means that by the time the freeze ends and the
release officially occurs, I'm essentially already upgraded.

--
   The Wanderer