Re: flash in stretch again

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 18:03:22 -0400 Maureen L Thomas
<silverorb@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 06/25/2017 05:18 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
> >

> > On 06/25/2017 03:42 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> >> Just install the flash plugin manually.  That's what I do and have
> >> done so since I started using Linux 15+ years ago.
> >>
> >> In firefox-esr, go to www.adobe.com.  Make sure that's all that's
> >> in the URL.  (It may take you to the Adobe Cloud app page.)
> >> Toward the bottom of the page, right hand side, you should see
> >> listed Adobe Reader, Flash Player, etc.  Click Flash Player and
> >> you should be taken to the Download Page. The OS should say Linux,
> >> if not change it to.  The player version should be 26.something.
> >> Using the Type dropdown menu, select tar.gz. NOT .DEB! Click
> >> Download.  Don't do any of the following "install" steps. This is
> >> a manaul install, remember.  Plus, the auto-install never worked
> >> for me.  Check if the download suceeded. Depending on how you've
> >> got firefox-esr configured, the file should be in Downloads in
> >> your home directory or possibly on your Desktop.  Using a file
> >> manager, exact the tar.gz file to the same place it was
> >> downloaded. The only file you need be concerned with is
> >> libflashplayer.so  As root, using a terminal (or if your
> >> filemanager is able to switch to root priviledge), copy
> >> libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
> >>
> >> Restart firefox-esr, do the about:plugin thing and see if
> >> FlashPlayer is there and enabled.  Also, by entering about: in the
> >> URL line, see if firefox-esr version is 52.2.something.  That's
> >> the lastest version of esr.
> >>

> >> Test if it works with your game sites, etc.
> > Thank you, Patrick! You would not believe how much time I have
> > wasted trying to install this thing (hmm... maybe you would).
> > Manual installation rocks and it works for Jessie and FF 45.9.0.
> >
> >  - Dan
> >> FWIW, you said you were "upgraded" to Stretch automatically.  From
> >> Jessie, I assume.  This was most likely caused by your Debian
> >> Repositories being set to "Stable."  I had this happen 10+ years
> >> ago when I first tried Debian (Sarge).  I was "upgraded" to Etch,
> >> IIRC, and it caused problems since it was a improper upgrade with
> >> a bastard system mix of Sarge and Etch.  To make a long story
> >> short, the fix was a clean install.  You may have to do that
> >> (clean install of either Jessie or Stretch), too, to get things
> >> working properly.  If everything was working with Jessie, I
> >> suggest you install that.  With Debian's Long Term Support, Jessie
> >> will be supported for another 3 years or so.
> >>
> >> Good Luck.

> So I was playing around trying to figure this crap out and I
> installed Opera and my games work in that browser.  They still do NOT
> work in Firefox ESR.  I would use Opera but none of the movie things
> will play. So how is that for screwed up.  I am going to download
> Stretch and do a clean install and then see how that goes. Thanks
> everyone for all the help.

Sorry, you've had problems.  Like I said, I think a lot of it is due to
that improper (and unwanted) upgrade to Stretch.

It's not unusual to have some sites work with one browser and not
another even if all are up-to-date with all the necessary plugins,
extensions, etc.  I came across one site that parts would only work
properly with Windows and Internet Explorer.  And that was a few months
ago!

Goo luck on your clean install of Stretch.  Just read the Release Notes
and Install Instructions first.