Re: [Stretch] Fix for not network after installing without desktop

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 11:07:13AM +0200, Erwan David wrote:
> Do you mean that network-manager is compulsory in stretch ? Impossible
> to use a fixed configuration in /etc/network/interfaces or another
> connection manager like wicd ?

No, this is not the case.  I've got two stretch desktop systems that
use /e/n/i and not network-manager.  I have *never* used n-m.

> It would surprise me.

The OP is well intentioned, but is only presenting anecdotal experience
from one system, without sufficient detail to understand where things
went wrong.

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 08:33:00PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> The OP is particularly drawing attention to a situation which could
> possibly occur when *Debian is installed*. Unfortunately, although one
> of the conditions under which the installation was done (no selection
> of a DE) is stated, the complete situation is not described. This
> reduces the usefulness of the suggested fix.

"No DE selected" is not the underlying cause either.  I've installed
Debian without selecting a DE, many times, on many computers, and I've
never needed n-m.

Granted, I have never directly installed Stretch yet.  Only Jessie and
earlier.  My two Stretch systems are upgrades.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the OP's system is a laptop, and
the OP is attempting to use a wireless network of some kind.  There may
be setups where n-m handles wireless stuff particularly well.