Re: Recommended Items Missing From Base Install

On 2017-06-25 20:54 -0400, James Kruth wrote:

> I’ve been working with minimal Debian installs for a bit and have
> noticed something that seems odd. After installing a very minimal
> system (just base, system utils, and SSH server), the following
> recommended packages are not installed in Debian 9:
>
> firmware-linux-free (recommended by linux-image)
> gnupg-l10n (recommended by gnupg)
> irqbalance (recommended by linux-image)
> libatm1 (recommended by iproute2)
> libcap2-bin (recommended by iputils-ping)
> libgpm2 (recommended by libncurses5 and libncursesw5)
> publicsuffix (recommended by libpsl5)
> uuid-runtime (recommended by libuuid1)
>
> I was surprised to see this as apt (or apt-get) seems to install
> recommended packages by default. It’s not as if this is causing me a
> problem. Mostly I’m just curious if anyone knows why certain
> recommended packages are not installed as part of the base system,
> especially when it seems to be standard policy to install recommended
> packages once the system is installed. Thanks!

I think the answer is that the recommending packages have been installed
by debootstrap which has its own very limited dependency resolver that
ignores Recommends.  Before apt can do its work on the installed system,
the base packages need to be installed somehow, and the tool doing this
is debootstrap.

Cheers,
       Sven