Re: When two bugs may have underlying problem(s) in common

On Sat 24 Jun 2017 at 06:55:44 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 06/23/2017 11:47 AM, JPlews wrote:
> >On 23/06/17 14:46, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >>I had cause to re-read bug
> >><https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=859564> titled
> >>"arandr: doesn't detect when I unplug an external screen"
> >>
> >>Depending on how the phrasing of the problem is read it cause could be
> >>a hardware related issue or have an underlying cause in common with my
> >>bug <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=865535> titled
> >>"arandr: Does not use applied settings on reboot".
> >>
> >>Is it correct to send the same email to both bug reports?
> >>I intend to add the model information of my laptop to my report.
> >>

> Your reply is OFF-TOPIC.
> I was EXPLICITLY asking what should be down when two bug reports
> focusing on different problems may have a common underlying cause.

Once again, you didn't receive a reply that suited you, so you
have to shout about it.

As I see it, just send emails to whichever bugs you choose.
The maintainers will recategorise/close/merge bugs as they
feel appropriate.

> >I would suggest that those bugs are invalid and should be closed, arandr
> >makes no attempt to monitor anything, it is simply a command builder and
> >arrangement UI for xrandr, and xrandr describes itself "primitive
> >command line interface to RandR extension"

I agree with this; arandr is getting stick for something it isn't.
I think I've dealt with #865535. On the subject of #859564, it's
not clear to me exactly what the symptoms are. It sounds as if
arandr is left running, then a monitor plug is pulled and all the
open windows are left on the now unlit screen. Are you expecting
the arandr window to jump onto the remaining, lit, screen? And all
the other windows? What would arandr's role in this operation be,
as opposed to the window manager's?

> >Don't know exactly where the problem lies, but it's probably MATE and
> >the monitors.xml file, as soon as something isn't present at the correct
> >time this gets changed and persists, so if you correct it for one
> >session it just takes forgetting to switch your external display on for
> >it to change again automatically and persist, requiring another GUI
> >based fix...
> >
> >I saw you made an xrandr command, you could try that in LightDM or just
> >add it to the MATE startup items, or bind it to a keyboard shortcut.

What to do with that command (ie put it in a startup file) seems to be
a problem for the OP.

Cheers,
David.