Re: 3G-Internet-band width - load balancing not working proper in Stretch

On 17/06/17 16:12, Zei Ha gmx.net wrote:
Hello,

I'm using Stretch for a long time now on an amd64-PC together with a
3G-Internet-Modem-Stick. The behaviour how Stretch handles the band
width and does load balancing between different applications is simply
disastrous! For example: if I download large updates per "apt" it is
not possible to open-up/load any site in "firefox"; just at the moment,
when "apt" switches from one download to the other, than the page in
"firefox" begins to load (as slow as if I had an ancient
56k dial-up-modem...). Also Stretch does not tap the full potential
of the 3G-Modem's speed I guess - and this is not a provider-thing!

With the same PC and another Linux-distribution all this does not
happen, so this is obviously Stretch-related! By the way: it also worked
fine in Jessie... - so maybe it's a Debian-related "systemd-thing"?

Due to the fact that Stretch comes out as "stable-version" within the
next days (after almost doubled developing-time of two years), isn't
that something to think about...?

Regards
Jack

A quick mitigation perhaps:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/88731/can-the-update-manager-download-only-a-single-package-at-a-time

With the info given I'd suspect the kernel first, it's quite possible for common drivers to not work or become sub optimal as new hardware is supported. I have had the same experiences with OpenWRT and these devices.

In the past I would have recommended just installing the previous version's kernel, but I'm not sure if a Jessie kernel is missing things systemd needs, which is a niche that Devuan may help with, or you could run Jessie in a VM and pass the USB device through to it.

IMO hardware solutions are going to be easiest, like replacing the modem (but then worrying about support again in the other direction) or put the current modem in something like a MR3020, I'd expect the factory firmware to have an oldish firmware and therefore be happy an older modem.

Hope that helps.

JP