Re: cifs boot time mounts fail after ugrading to Stretch

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 10:00:14AM +0200, guy@posteurs.com wrote:
> The problem is that systemd does not wait for DHCP addresses to be
> obtained.
> Being new to systemd I could not succeed in finding the right parameters
> and dependencies in order to have the mounts wait till we have an IP
> address.
> I tried remote-fs.target, network-online.target, and other hacks with no
> success.

I can't help with CIFS mounts from fstab specifically, but I did learn
a thing or two about network-online.target in Debian due to a similar
issue with nfs-kernel-server.

network-online.target only cares about interfaces that are listed as
"auto" in /etc/network/interfaces.  Not allow-hotplug.  It has to be
auto.

Once you mark your interfaces as auto instead of allow-hotplug, then you
can create a dependency on network-online.target and have it actually
work.  I did so for the nfs-kernel-server package, which uses a systemd
service named nfs-server with an alias of nfs-kernel-server... and yes,
it took me a while to figure *that* mess out too.  Lesson #2: never try
to create a drop-in override for an *alias* name of a service.  You must
determine the actual non-alias name first.

$ systemctl status nfs-server
* nfs-server.service - NFS server and services
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service; enabled; vendor prese
  Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/nfs-server.service.d
           `-waitlonger.conf
   Active: active (exited) since Mon 2017-06-19 08:22:36 EDT; 23h ago
  Process: 522 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $RPCNFSDARGS (code=exited, status=0/
  Process: 519 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS
 Main PID: 522 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Tasks: 0 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/nfs-server.service

$ cat /etc/systemd/system/nfs-server.service.d/waitlonger.conf
[Unit]
Wants= network-online.target
After= network-online.target

See <https://bugs.debian.org/860264> for more details.