Re: Stretch--no network interfaces

On 06/18/2017 09:22 PM, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 18 Jun 2017 at 20:54:46 +0200, Christian Seiler wrote:
>
>> On 06/18/2017 08:25 PM, pplaw wrote:
>>> The network I'm on at the moment hands out DHCP addresses.  But, sometimes,
>>> I'll hard-code the IP address for the computer (with ifconfig:  ifconfig
>>> (eth0--but in this case) enx687f74158a8a 10.x.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0;
>>> route add default gw 10.x.x.x).  Since this is a new install of Stretch,
>>> I haven't been able to download the ifconfig package; and if I type ifup
>>> enx687f74158a8a (or for my wireless card, wlp1s0), I get:  "unknown in-
>>> terface.
>>
>> In the Debian release notes there's a section about the fact that
>> ifconfig has been deprecated for well over a decade now, and is not
>> included in new installs anymore starting with Stretch:
>>
>> https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#iproute2
>
> ifconfig isn't the problem. The OP installed Stretch; stretch doesn't
> have ifconfig.

Stretch does have ifconfig, just not by default. And I mentioned that
because the OP mentioned it and I wanted to clarify this. Please read
again the part I quoted from the OP. ;-)

>> If you want to temporarily add an IP to a given interface, you can
>> use the 'ip' utility (this also works in older Debian versions):
>
> [Good advice snipped]
>
> Do you not find it disturbing that someone can install Debian and not
> end up with a network connection?

Well, that depends on further details here: was the network configured
at all during installation? If you use one of the DVDs, for example,
you don't need to configure the network in the installer to install
Debian onto the hard disk - but if you didn't configure it in the
installer, you'll have to configure it manually in the running system.

But sure, if you can show that network properly configured in
the installer fails to lead to a system with configured networking,
then please report a bug with details and steps to reproduce, so that
this can be fixed in 9.1.

Regards,
Christian