Re: Can a US Robotics USB Softmodem be made to work on Linux?

-------- Original Message --------
UTC Time: June 15, 2017 8:46 PM
From: electron@emypeople.net

I have a U.S. Robotics USR5639 USB modem. I am wondering how hard it
is to get it to work with Linux. Using Mint 18.1.

  • V.92 or V.90 & V.44 ITU standard 56k
  • V.34 and backwards compatible protocols
  • Fax speeds up to 14,000 bit/s, Group lll, Class 1
  • Data compression V.42bis and MNP 5
  • Error correction V.42 LAPM and MNP 4

  • Here is some good bedtime reading http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

    The modem does not show up at all in /dev when plugged in but here
    is what "lsusb" says:
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 047e:2892 Agere Systems, Inc. (Lucent) Systems Soft Modem

    It is probably reading it as usb flash which may be meant for miss-windows to read the drivers
    for it.  You need to tell the computer that it is a modem, an analog one.

    Is it practical to try to make this work or should I just get a "real"
    modem?

    It is the most fun you can ever have on linux ...  making things work.  The sad part
    is that the engineers who designed it probably did it on unix/linux but were
    paid to produce windows code for it.  Most likely if you run something like winXP
    it will recognize it and use it in minutes.

    Thanks,
    Jason

    Good old LU went down the lu.  I thought they went under but they are part
    of Nokia now.  It probably has some collectors' value.  Please
    record the handshake noise and forward it to us.  I suspect you want to use it
    as a fax or transmit data through some other analog medium?  I would be
    surprised if someone still has such a service or a BBS (remember those old farts?)