Re: Debian installer not finding free space

On 06/14/2017 02:37 PM, David DLC wrote:
On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 5:18 PM, David Christensen wrote:

Boot the Debian installer and get to a recovery console prompt.

Run lsblk (8) and determine the device node for your ~500 GB drive (it
should be /dev/sda, but you should confirm this):

    https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/util-linux/lsblk.8.en.html

    # lsblk

Then run parted (8) to see how the disk is partitioned:

    https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/parted/parted.8.en.html

    # parted /dev/sda u s p free

Take a photograph of the screen with the two commands and their output,
upload, and reply with the URL.

Sorry about that, I am usually busy during the day with either work or
school. I am unsure how to enter this recovery console mode you are talking
about. I have the Debian installer pulled up, but am not sure where to go
from there.

Using debian-8.7.1-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso burned to a USB flash drive:

1. Power down computer. Insert USB flash drive. Power up computer. Boot the USB flash drive with the Debian installer (you stated you already know how to do this).

2.  "Debian GNU/Linux installer boot menu" -- choose "Advanced options".

3.  "Advanced options" -- choose "Rescue mode".

4.  "Language" -- choose your preferred language.

5. "Country, territory or area" -- choose your preferred country, territory, or area.

6.  "Keymap to use" -- pick your preferred keymap.

7. On my laptop that I am using for testing, I am prompted to load missing firmware. I chose "No".

8. I am also prompted to choose the primary network interface. I chose "eth0".

9.  "Hostname" -- accept default (debian).

10. "Domain name" -- leave blank

11. "Select your time zone" -- choose your time zone.

12. "Device to use as root file system" -- choose "Do not use a root file system".

13. "Rescue operations" -- choose "Execute a shell in the installer environment".

14. "Executing a shell" -- choose "Continue".

You should now be presented with a root prompt. Do your work. Enter "exit" when you're done.

David