Re: Installing Stretch/Testing with absolute minimal bandwith useage

On Tue 13 Jun 2017 at 12:51:10 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 06/13/2017 12:26 PM, Brian wrote:

> >>My hope had been to copy those somewhere to that would be available
> >>locally without a need for a LAN. That may not be feasible.
> >
> >It *is* feasible. You have done it in the past. Use a USB stick as an
> >archive.
> >

> That's always been a goal. I've always used a set of DVD's never a netinst
> iso. I had never experimented with just how much could be done with netinst
> without any internet connectivity.

In terms of installing Debian, the netinst ISO gives you very little
more that you would get from using a set of DVDs. The difference lies in
point releases for security and perceived major changes. A network
connected machine would pick these up; you would need a new set of DVDs
to get them.

Being bandwidth constrained is a consideration, but updates to a stable
installation rarely involve more than a few 10s of MB. And it doesn't
have to be done anyway; it is your choice. I'd suggest that for your
situation (no connectivity to the internet for the Debian machine and no
malign users), you could just let point releases pass you by.

--
Brian.