Re: Compiler segfault when building the kernel

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 10:51 PM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:37:39 -0400
> kamaraju kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Any ideas? Is this a bug I should be filing against kernel-package (or
>> > anywhere else)?
>>
>> Two things
>>
>> 1) Does the problem go away if you upgrade to the latest compiler?
>> Based on the error message, I believe you are using gcc 4.9? But it is
>> not clear to me what the exact version of the compiler is and the
>> debian distribution you are using.
>
> Debian stable, with a bunch of stuff from backports, and some from
> unstable. From gcc -v:
>
> gcc version 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10)

ok. If upgrading to stretch (currently testing) is an option, please
consider it. It has gcc 6.3.0 and this specific bug might have been
fixed since 4.9.2. Just so you have an idea, gcc 4.9.2 was released on
October 30, 2014; gcc 6.3.0 was released on December 21, 2016.

Another thing to note is that even though Stretch is currently the
testing distribution, it is scheduled to be released as Stable on June
17, 2017 (i.e. in 7 days). It is also in very good shape with only 66
release-critical bugs as per https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
.

>> 2) The very fact the the compiler is failing with an "internal"
>> compiler error indicates that it is a bug in the compiler. I would
>> report it against the compiler package. But before you report, try to
>> reproduce the problem with as smaller test case as possible. If you
>> just say, my kernel compilation is failing with "internal compiler
>> error" it will be very difficult to reproduce by others and will take
>> longer for it to be fixed.
>
> Thank you. The reason that I thought that it might not be a compiler
> bug is because of the claim here that it can also be caused by a build
> system that isn't designed to be run concurrently:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/343490/the-bug-is-not-reproducible-so-it-is-likely-a-hardware-or-os-problem
>
> So I'll have to decide whether to report against kernel-package, gcc,
> or not at all.

The bug may have been triggered by a build system. But ultimately, the
fix has to go into the compiler. So, gcc is the correct package to
report.

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog