Re: NTP.conf pool vs server

On Wednesday 07 June 2017 08:56:59 ray wrote:

> I would like to know the correct syntax for entering a server entry
> for stretch.
>
> All the documentation I find says to list the ntp servers in the file
> as: server 0.XX.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.XX.pool.ntp.org
>
> An example source from 2017 is https://wiki.debian.org/DateTime
>
> When I open /etc/ntp.conf on my new stretch installation, I find this
> format: pool 0.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst
> pool 1.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst
>
> The latest Debian doc says to start the line with 'server'.
> The latest Debian implementation starts the line with 'pool'.
>
> Are these interchangeable?
>
> Additionally, there is a parameter 'iburst' which I did not find in
> the Debian docs but found at http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.1/confopt.htm
>

> Thanks,
> Ray

Begin rant:

From someone who is currently battling a fresh jessie install that didn't
even come with ntpdate installed, and which using the above format
in /etc/ntp.conf is still about 12 hours off on an rpi-3.

Installing ntpdate and attempting to start it gets me a no servers found
message, yet they are defined as discussed above, and the network is
fully accessible to all other forms of communication.

That doc on www.ntp.org is nice, but worthless to someone who just wants
it to work. I have quite a zoo of machines here, and I see little
advantage to each one banging on a network server, when it needs an
update.  But does it give even a hint of how to make this machine, or
heaven forbid, my router, which keeps time via ntp, and which I believe
has the time broadcast enabled, (its dd-wrt in a buffalo box) into a
server that the rest of my machines can listen to to get the correct
time. If I could achieve that, it would reduce the loading on the time
servers at debian or pool.ntp.org by a factor of 5 or 6 just from my
home network.

But a manpage that actually tells us how to do that must be sick bird,
because its not been written yet.  Man page writers please get real, and
tell us how to do something like getting our home networks all
synchronized to our routers which can then broadcast it to the rest of
our network.

Such a scheme can easily keep us on time with any errors within a few
milliseconds, more than adequate enough for the girls I go with. While
reducing the load on the servers by at least 80%.

So how about a manpage that tells us how to do that?  If its not illegal
according to some rfc that is.

Rant off.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers, Gene Heskett