Re: NTP.conf pool vs server

On Wednesday 07 June 2017 09:27:19 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 05:56:59AM -0700, ray wrote:
> > The latest Debian doc says to start the line with 'server'.
> > The latest Debian implementation starts the line with 'pool'.
> >
> > Are these interchangeable?
> >
> > Additionally, there is a parameter 'iburst' which I did not find in
> > the Debian docs but found at http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.1/confopt.htm
>
> For whatever it's worth, "iburst" is in ntp.conf(5) but "pool" is not.

pool is normally a round robin server setup where any machine in
the "pool" of machines can answer the query.  Its part of the net
address, not a keyword to ntp(date). If you ping -c1 pool.ntp.org,
you'll see the machines address that answered that ping, but you may not
get a reply from that same machine the next time you ping it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)