Re: Automatic updating links?

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 07:15:25PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> writes:

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 06:41:03PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
But, I
also need that, when renaming the target file, the link would automatically
change its name so that it keeps equal to the target's name...  Is this
possibile?

No.  Not without exhaustively searching the file system to find the
other links and rename them, and that would have to be something you
do manually, *not* automatically triggered by a rename.

What are you actually trying to do?

I'm making a musical mp3s library.  So I have, say, the following directory
tree:

+ musical-library

 + genres
 | |
 | + classical
 | |
 | + pop
 | |
 | + folk
 | |
 | + opera: una.furtiva.lacrima-schipa.mp3
 |
 |          casta.diva-callas.mp3

 + artists

   + tito-schipa

   + maria-callas

   + frank-sinatra

etc.  Now, suppose that I want to put una.furtiva.lacrima-schipa.mp3 *also* in
the tito-schipa directory, and casta.diva-callas.mp3 *also* in the maria-callas
directory...  That's what I'm trying to do...

I've wanted to do something like that in the past, myself. The solution
I was considering (though I never actually got around to implementing
it) was a FUSE-based filesystem. The idea would be that files would be
stored in, say, a hidden, top-level directory and their ID3 tags
scanned. The filesystem would then make the files available in, say
"by-genre", "by-artist", "by-title", "by-album" and so on folders.
Possibly with the ability to have multiple layers so you can get "by-artist/Queen/by-album/Greatest Hits II/*.mp3"

In other words, listing a directory would provide a live filtering of
that available files, depending on the directory name. In an ideal
world, changing the filename/path would alter the ID3 tags and vice
versa.

--
For more information, please reread.