Re: Discovering alternative commands

Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm working on a problem that requires as input an association of disk
> partitions and their "label" (in gparted sense).
>
> I already have blkid and lsblk. They are obviously designed for
> different purposes. They both _can_ supply the desired information.
> Neither is ideal for me.
>
> Two questions (one asking for fish, the other asking to be taught to fish):
> 1. what other commands should I look at?
> 2. is there some reference that groups commands/programs by similarity?
>
> A contrived example of the later, you've come across an unfamiliar word.
> Depending on your needs you might consult a thesaurus, encyclopedia, or
> dictionary. If a dictionary is indicated, it may be bilingual, idioms,
> abridged, or unabridged etc.

  um, for general searching i use either apt-cache or
use synaptic's search function.  that ways you can get
a list of packages which have the word in question
associated with them.  you can specify if you want to
search just the name or include the description.

  for more general searching of interesting bits i use
google or other search engines and add words like debian
or linux to make sure i'm entering the right universe.

  :)

  songbird