Re: Desktop Background Bites the Dust

On 05/21/2017 05:40 PM, David Christensen wrote:
As I understand it:

* 'apt-get upgrade' is for rolling forward to a new minor revision -- e.g. Debian 8.7 to Debian 8.8 -- and/or new packages -- e.g. icedove 1:45.6.0-1~deb8u1 to thunderbird 1:45.8.0-3~deb8u1).

* 'apt-get dist-upgrade' is for rolling forward to a new major revision -- e.g. Debian 7 to Debian 8.

I do the former regularly -- once or more per week.

I avoid the latter, as it's caused me grief in the past (when I want to do a major version upgrade, I backup, move the system disk aside, do a fresh install, and restore).

My issue is likely tied to some software corner case due the the hardware -- e.g. 32-bit laptop with an off-spec 64-bit processor jammed in.

I've always used dist-upgrade for years without any problems. It's an old habit by now. If I don't, I learned there are some packages I *do* want to upgrade that get held back (ie. not upgraded) if I don't do dist-upgrade, such as new kernels (which I like to keep the kernel the newest out there). I haven't yet had any real major issues (even minor issues I've always found a work-around and 99% of the time it was just something I myself needed to configure, and not really a bug). I run stable so maybe that is why I have such good luck. On test VMs I do dist-upgrade basically because I know I can always start over if things go wrong. And Virtual Machines are the test systems anyway.