Re: Live Fille System Backup

thank you for mentioning bup.  That's a great option I am considering.

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 5:52 AM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> I would like a backup tool that does not bring a million dependencies with
> MBs of files.  Something that works on server without X Windows and can
> send backup to an externally attached USB drive.  Nothing fancy.   No
> network infrastructure.  Incremental backups would be greatly appreciated.
> Ability to pipe to a compression program is a plus, just like I did with
> dump.

I used to use rsync for that kind of job, but nowadays I tend to prefer
`bup` because it handles incrementals really well (especially in terms
of compression).  It's in Debian stable or you can find it at
https://github.com/bup/bup.

        Stefan

PS: Of course, you'll still want to take a snapshot (e.g. with LVM) and
    back that up rather than the live filesystem.