Re: Virtual Machines: Newbie / novice questions

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>>> However, the virtual hard disk is a pretty large size. My method
>>> compresses it further so that the size of the backup is much
>>> smaller.

>> Have a look at "borg". It is ideal to backup VMs (or anything using
>> large files with only marginal changes inside) and I have been using
>> it for my Virtualbox VMs for a very long time.

> You might also like `bup` which does the same kind of deduplication,
> so can also be used on large files that change only in small parts.

Problem with bup (until recently) is that the nature of its git-based
approach prohibits you from ever removing anything from the backup.

"Unti recently" because there now is a way to do data retention, but:
"bup only has experimental support for pruning old backups."

While bup is a nice program, borg is far more mature at this point.

S°

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.