Re: Virtual Machines: Newbie / novice questions

On 05/17/2017 12:42 PM, craigswin wrote:

On 05/17/2017 06:03 AM, RavenLX wrote:
Those Windows VMs though are a pain. Just warning you. If you don't absolutely NEED one, I'd advise not even bothering. I'm seriously considering just deleting mine.

Can you expand on that? New to VMs, considering them as an alternative to dualboot, with Stretch as host and Win7 as a guest to run Vectorworks.

I am not a fan of windows, no how, no way. So I admit I may be (a little more than) a tad biased.

But booting into a Windows VM is hard. You can't back up/export without losing your license and having to call MS (which is why I don't even bother) to have them 'fix' it. And updates take forever. My laptop is kinda old so it also bogs down the machine sometimes. In addition, the internet part doesn't always work. Sometimes it stalls and you have to reboot the windows VM to get it working again (maybe something not set right, who knows).

My normal workflow includes doing updates on the base VM (which take a long time), then doing a disk cleanup, then sdelete to zero out the unused areas. Next I would clone (at the command line) the VM disk file so that it is fully compressed. Then I export. Not doing this to compress it as much as possible results in a huge exported backup file.

I rather back up the exported machine, and then clone it if I need to use a Windows VM. This saves "messing up" windows and having to take half a day or more to reinstall everything, including programs, etc. and updates, etc. etc.

Windows 10, at least, is very slow with updates on a virtual machine.