Packaging problem: impossible to build package from source

Hello everyone.
I don't know if this is the best suited place for this kind of assistance, but I'm currently trying to create a debian .deb package from the official source obtained from debian repositories.
In my case I'm trying to build openvpn, the procedure I follow is:
apt-get source openvpn
dpkg-source -x openvpn.xxxx.dsc
dpkg-buildpackage -b -us -uc

However after the whole compilation goes fine, I obtain the following error:

/home/pi/openvpn/openvpn-2.4.0/debian/dirs: 11: /home/pi/openvpn/openvpn-2.4.0/debian/dirs: usr/lib/openvpn: not found /home/pi/openvpn/openvpn-2.4.0/debian/dirs: 12: /home/pi/openvpn/openvpn-2.4.0/debian/dirs: usr/include/openvpn: not found
dh_installdirs: debian/dirs (executable config) returned exit code 127
debian/rules:16: recipe for target 'binary' failed
make: *** [binary] Error 127
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
debuild: fatal error at line 1376:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc -b failed

Running dh_installdirs alone in every possible variant (even root) doesn't bring any change, that's where the error comes from. Apparently it doesn't find those directories but... isn't it supposed to create them?

Does anyone have a clue about what's going on? I'm totally new to packaging but it's surprising that a standard source package downloaded from official debian servers doesn't work out of the box...