Re: [trinity-users] Re: Strange clicking noise from my laptop hard drive

On 11/05/17 18:21, Philip Ashmore wrote:
On 10/05/17 20:54, Jhoanir Torres wrote:
I think your disk is broken.

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Philip Ashmore
<contact@philipashmore.com <mailto:contact@philipashmore.com>> wrote:

    Hi there.

    I managed to record it using my laptops built-in microphone.

    To those who would prefer a description:
    It starts fast and slows down. I opened the file with Audacity and
    determined the intervals to be 0.1, 0.3, 0.6, 10, 15 seconds, then
    it repeats.

    It sounds like some kind of protocol negotiation algorithm that
    requires a disk sync when the polling time doubles.

    Here's a link for your listening pleasure:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/apdr1o056tam5ie/click.wav?dl=0
    <https://www.dropbox.com/s/apdr1o056tam5ie/click.wav?dl=0>

    I'm hoping it's some cron job, or DropBox, Trinity Desktop, wifi,
    smart disk status monitoring, nVidia, Intel, ... not a virus trying
    to phone home.

    I'm really hoping that someone reading this will go "oh that thing"
    and know what it is instantly.

    Curiously it doesn't happen every day.

    Regards,
    Philip Ashmore

--
Jhoanir Torres

I had suspended to ram and restored => clicking.
Fresh boot today => no clicking.
Also the intervals are 0.1, 0.3, 0.6, 1.0, 1.5 seconds.

And, yep, I've ordered another hard drive.

Philip Ashmore

For additional commands, e-mail:
trinity-users-help@lists.pearsoncomputing.net
Read list messages on the web archive:
http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/
Please remember not to top-post:
http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/mailing_lists/#top-posting

I got a new hard disk.
I still get the same clicking, but now it also sometimes happens before I type in the passphrase to unlock the luks encrypted lvm partition the OS sits on.
Maybe it's the hard disk controller.
I also took out the Broadcom wifi/bluetooth pci express card as it was acting up too.
Maybe it's time to retire this Samsung NP-RF711-S07UK.
Bought in 2012, that's four years more than the warranty.

Regards,
Philip Ashmore

Still using the Samsung, no clicks at the moment.