Re: Samsung ML-1915 printer

On Thu 18 May 2017 at 17:32:33 +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Hi, Brian:
>
> finally I can get back to my printer problem...  Thanks a lot for your help...
> I'm trying to follow your instructions but...  Well, I don't know, maybe I'm
> missing something:

The instructions were recounting what I did. You were meant to alter
anything particular to your system. Step 3 is the major one if you use
x86_54.

> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I give in! Your ULD package doesn't work for you on unstable. Let us see
> > how mine goes on.
> >
> > 1. Go to http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/ML-1910/SEE and download
> >    uld_v1.00.06.tar.gz.
> >
> > 2. Decompress and unpack the file with 'tar zvxf uld_v1.00.06.tar.gz'.
> >
> > 3. cp uld/i386/rastertospl /usr/lib/cups/filter/.
> >
> > 4. chown root.root /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl.
> >
> > 5. cp uld/noarch/share/ppd/Samsung_ML-191x_Series.ppd /usr/share/ppd/custom/.
> >
> > 6. lpinfo -m | grep ML-191x.
> >
> > 7. lpadmin -p ML191x -v file:/dev/null -E -m lsb/usr/custom/Samsung_ML-191x_Series.ppd.
> >
> > The last five steps are done as root.
>
> Up to here, no problem it seems.

Any serious problem with this command would mean there had been an utter
and complete breakdown in the CUPS printing system. Nobody would have
a hope of printing.

Now do 'lpinfo -v' with the printer plugged into the USB port. Look for
"direct usb://...." and alter the command in 7 to

 lpadmin -p ML191x -v usb://.... -E -m lsb/usr/custom/Samsung_ML-191x_Series.ppd

ML191x should now be shown in the printing dialogs of applications. Can
you print from an application or with

 lp -d ML191x /etc/nsswitch ?

> > Now (as root again)
> >
> > 8. cupsfilter -p /etc/cups/ppd/ML192x.ppd -e -m printer/foo message.txt > out.prn 2>log.
> >
> > log and out.prn have been compressed and attached to this mail.
> > Uncompress with gunzip. Note that the log shows all filters being run
> > successfully. As far as I am concerned, cupsd and the filtering system
> > have worked well. message.txt contains a secret message for you.
>
> Where's that file: message.txt, that you mention?  I can't see it...  Besides,
> in /etc/cups/ppd there's no ML192x.ppd, there's ML191x.ppd...

I have the file. Its contents are in out.prn. You get to see it when you
successfully print out.prn.

ML192x.ppd is a typo.

> > out.prn is a file which can be sent directly to the Samsung printer.
> > But I haven't got such a printer, you say. Ah, but *you* have. So do
> >
> >  cat out.prn > /dev/usb/lp0
> >
> > You can now reveal the message to everyone.
> >
> > An invitation: any of the hundreds of list readers with a USB connected
> > Samsung printer which accepts SPL can have fun trying to print the file
> > too.
>

> Well, I gave that command 8 also, but...  printer still doesn't work...
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks for any further help, really need it...

The device might be /dev/usb/lp1. Plug the printer in and out and monitor
/dev/usb/.

--
Brian.